Painting the Master Bedroom: A Photo Timeline

I started painting our new house the day after we closed.  I got a little obsessed with painting and then hit the wall, only to have my mom save me.  During this time, I had grand plans to update this here blog with all my progress as it happened, but I was so obsessed with painting that I made no time to write.  I've spent almost two months painting and instead of trying to go back and write posts as if each project were only a few days ago instead of 6 weeks or more ago, I'll do a couple of photo timeline posts to bring these projects up to date, and then we'll take it from there.

The master bedroom is the first room I painted.  Dennis and I never did anything to our old master bedroom and I really want to have a nice bedroom for a change.  Over the years, we've bought some stuff for the bedroom, a new bed and mattress,  a wardrobe, new bedside lamps, but we've never painted or really decorated at all.

We found this picture at Ikea and it has become the inspiration for the new bedroom.  Well, we already had the Malm queen size bed in birch, and were leaning towards doing a tropical island retreat style bedroom so this picture really seemed to fit in with our vision so we ran with it.
          

Dennis works a funny schedule and often has to sleep during the day, so we also want to make sure the master bedroom is very dark and cave like so he can sleep better when the sun is up (I promise he's not a vampire).  Using this picture as inspiration, we picked Sherwin-Williams Ripe Olive as the wall color.  We had it color matched to Home Depot's Behr Interior Eggshell Enamel No-VOC paint (I don't want to be anywhere near any harmful fumes while in the family way).  It's a really deep grey/green that we think will really help Den sleep by making the room dark and cozy.  Plus the color picks up the deep grey/green of the tree's foliage.  I also like the way the rope color almost matches the light birch color of our bed, keeping things from getting too dark and heavy.

Pigger and Butt-Naked help with color choices

For the ceiling, we picked a very, very light foggy grey called Coastal Fog.  Home Depot had to color match this color to ceiling paint, as ceiling paint apparently has very limited color options.  The HD we go to has a great paint department and suggested just getting flat paint, but I wanted the thicker, less drippy ceiling paint, so they gladly color matched for me.

Before I started painting, I had to remove a really hideous plastic folding room divider thing from in between the master bedroom and nursery.  As always, Pigger and Butt-Naked were there to help me.


Those beautiful hardwood floors needed protecting so plastic drop cloths had to go down.  I bought one giant roll of 8'4" x 200' of plastic sheeting that I rolled out, cut to size, and taped down to the floors for protection.  I'm a messy painter.  A very messy painter.


When I paint, I start with the ceiling, then do the walls, then, last but not least, the trim and doors.  And finally, I go back and do any touch ups to make sure things look as good as possible.  Then I give myself a high-five and do a happy dance.  Unfortunately, there aren't any pictures of that.

cutting in the ceiling; I curse whoever put texture on the ceiling and walls.
all cut in
halfway there
I wasn't very happy with the ceiling paint.  One gallon should've been more than enough to cover the ceiling in both the master bedroom and the nursery (we wanted to use the same color in both spaces to have some consistency between the two rooms), but I barely had enough to cover the master bedroom ceiling and had to go back to the store and buy more for the nursery.  I don't know if it was the paint, or the roller, or what, but I ended up using almost an entire gallon in each room. 

After I got the ceiling done, Dennis helped me cut in and roll the walls.  The paint we bought has primer in it, so we didn't bother priming, even though the color was so dark.  I was not pleased with this paint at all, either, and it had nothing to do with not priming the walls first.  As we were cutting in, we noticed the paint wasn't covering very well and unless we put it on super thick it was streaky and very uneven.  It's never good to put paint on super thick because it can drip and it's nearly impossible to keep the coverage even.


         

Rolling the paint wasn't much better, either.  It didn't bother me that we were going to obviously need a second coat of paint; I was expecting to put two coats on, but what I didn't expect was to not have enough paint to cove the walls even once.  One gallon of paint for a room this size should've easily covered two coats.  Especially with 3 windows, 3 doors, and a 5 foot opening in one wall reducing the total wall space.  Paint fail.


Unhappily, I went back to the store later in the week for another gallon, finished the wall that wasn't done, and put on a second coat.  The second coat covered all the splotchy uneven places at least.





The next thing I painted were the windows.  None of the windows in our house are original 1928 windows.  The new windows fit in the sills differently than the original windows and instead of the usual built out sills and trim, they are all deep set windows.  We decided instead of painting around the windows in the same color as the walls, they would stand out and look better in a contrasting color.  We didn't want to get all crazy with too many different colors in the room, so we went with the ceiling color.


Painting the windows didn't make a big difference, but we like the way it draws the ceiling color into the rest of the room, and it got rid of the last of the beige in the room.  The last thing I did was paint the trim and the doors, and declared this room done!  High five and happy dance!!





Stay tuned for the next installment of painting photo timelines, coming soon!!

No comments

Back to Top