Goodbye 2014, Hello 2015! Another year has passed and that means it's time to look back and reflect on everything that has happened with a Top Ten list. Every year I come up with a list of 10 significant things that happened that year. My best friend, Daniel, started this tradition a lot longer ago than I'd like to admit, and when we all first started compiling top ten lists they had to be 10 good things that happened during the year. Daniel was tired of people complaining about how bad things were and wanted to focus on the positive. The rules have changed over the years because sometimes something happens that is profoundly significant, but not necessarily good. This year was an interesting year. I wasn't as productive as I'd hoped, but 2014 was no 2011. As I've said before, not every year can be a 2010 or 2012, but I have a feeling 2015 holds some pretty amazing things.
- 01. My Aunt Maggie died. This is, without a doubt, the worst thing that has happened to my family. Her death has left a hole that cannot be filled, and has fractured our extended family more that I could or would possibly say. Maggie was the kindest, most generous, and selfless person I've ever known and will likely ever know, and the world is a darker place without her. I don't like to post things here that are of such a personal nature, but leaving this off my list would be a disservice to my aunt's memory.
- 02. Jack and I flew to Florida to attend my aunt's memorial service. Flying with a toddler is interesting yet manageable. I only wish the trip were under better circumstances.
- 03. Dennis, Jack, and I flew to Washington, DC to see my aunt interred at Arlington National Cemetery. Maggie was in the United States Air Force Reserves her entire adult life, served in Desert Storm and Afghanistan, and I am very proud of her service.
- 04. I ran in 3 5K races this year: the Bayou City Classic, Run Wild, and the Zombie Run.
- 05. I cut off all my hair. And I can't believe it's already been 11 months since the Big Chop. I've had a lot of fun with my new short hair, but am definitely ready for it to grow out!!! I went to a barber shop for a while to keep a nice shape to my do while everything grows out, and my hair is now long enough to need an actual hairdresser, but it's not quite at a flapper girl bob length, and I'm ready for my damn bob already!!!
- 06. I think I've actually become a runner. I still don't quite consider myself a runner because I'm still doing an awful lot of walking when I go out for a run, but other than this holiday season, I've consistently run this whole year. And it's felt great!!! I look forward to continuing to run in 2015.
- 07. Even though I fell off the blog wagon and hardly wrote anything this year, I finally bought a custom domain for my little space on the web, and attended Blog Elevated again this year. And maybe, just maybe, I'll actually manage to monetize over here, blah, blah, blah.
- 08. I became a Jamberry Nails Independent Consultant. As a part time stay at home mom, I need to bring in extra money for the family, and direct sales is a great way to do that. I LOVE having my nails done, so Jamberry has been the perfect fit. Jamberry is an amazing company with a fun product, and I am so glad I decided to sign up as a consultant!
- 09. I did more contract work this year. It was much more difficult fitting in the time especially since Jack is more active and needs more attention/play time (silly me thought it'd be easier since he's mobile and can independently play - boy, was I wrong on that point).
- 10. I discovered Pinot's Palette and have become rather obsessed with painting while drinking.
Also noteworthy in 2014: Jack finally learned to walk; I visited my Mom every month again this year so she and Jack can see each other; one of our vehicles died and we had to buy an new-to-us-used vehicle; I was the most stressed out and scatterbrained than I have been in a long time; another year of parenthood under my belt; I discovered the coolest new smartphone game, Ingress; I continued my photo an hour project, but only did it on Instagram. And that's the tip of the iceberg for 2014. How was your year? I'd love to see your top ten lists, wrap-ups, and reflections if you've written them. I'm including a link-up that will be open all month if you want to add your posts. Here's to 2015!