I love to bake. And I love all things Fall. The temperatures here in Houston have been unseasonably cool this past weekend (under 80 - whaaaaaat!), so I used my imagination and pretended that Autumn is actually on it's way and did some baking. I haven't written about baking here because I usually just make stuff from a boxed mix, but since trying to eat more organic foods, box mixes are pretty much out of the picture. So what's a girl to do? Start baking from scratch, that's what! And I decided to start off with a loaf of homemade, organic Pumpkin Cranberry Bread! This post contains affiliate links - I get a small commission from anything you buy through this post at no extra cost to you!
I know baking from scratch sounds pretty intimidating, especially if you're used to using a box mix, but let me tell you, it's super easy and doesn't really take that much more time. I promise!!! This recipe took me about 10 minutes to mix (not including the time it took to take pictures, ha!), and then all I had to do was sit back and wait for it to bake.
Here's what you'll need to make your own Pumpkin Cranberry Bread:
- 1 2/3 cups all purpose flour - I used organic all purpose flour, but you don't have to
- 1 1/2 cups sugar - again I used organic sugar
- 2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice - I'm sure I could find an organic version of this, but the amount used for this is so small it didn't matter much to me
- 1 teaspoon baking soda - there's not really an organic version of this (at least not to my knowledge)
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder - again, I'm not sure this even comes in organic
- 2 eggs - and you guessed it, I used organic free range eggs
- 1 cup canned pumpkin (not pumpkin pie filling) - you know, organic!
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil - just pretend I used an organic version of this - I just used what was on hand this time (but plan to replace this with organic when it runs out)
- 1/2 cup water - orga---wait, nevermind
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries (or raisins)
- 1/2 cup nuts (optional) I don't like nuts, so I didn't use any
See? Super easy and fast. And oh so delicious!!! I've been enjoying mine with some pumpkin butter I got from Dewberry Farm a couple of years ago, but it's also great plain. Some other ways to enjoy your Pumpkin Cranberry Bread are toasted with butter, or even as French toast! I bet this would also be awesome bread for peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, too! So how are you going to enjoy your Pumpkin Cranberry Bread?