April is over and I have to say, I'm sad to see it go. A lot, and I mean A LOT of stuff happened over the month (or rather, some significant things happened). I've been busy as usual and didn't quite find the time to write as much as I had hoped - I even wrote out a rough editorial calendar, but life happens and I didn't keep up with it....I'll explain all that in just a bit - hang in there.
I set some goals for myself in April, and while I didn't accomplish them all, I feel like I did pretty well with staying on track. And even though there are some things I didn't do, I don't feel like I got derailed. It feels more like I had to switch the train to a different track that I wasn't expecting to travel on quite yet.
Here are my April Goals and how I measured up to them:
- Date Night. I'm never writing the words "date" and "night" together in my planner ever again. Why, you ask? Well, I fear for the health of Den's family. In January, I put those two fateful words in my ECLP (click here for $10 off your own ECLP), and my MIL had to fly to California to take care of her sick sister. I wrote those same words in my planner for April, and guess what, my MIL had to go to Austin to take care of her sick brother. Clearly, Den's family cannot handle us scheduling a date night (I worry just typing those words here). Perhaps I should start calling it Mommy and Daddy go out without Jack night or something.....
- Keep a Schedule. Surprisingly I've managed to stay on top of my schedule this month. I've been using my ECLP like a boss and it's really helped me to, if not actually maintain focus, be more intentional with how I spend my time. More intentional time = more shit done = happier Jess (and Den). I call this one a win.
- Finding a way to workout even if I can't run. Nope. Nada, not even a little. I was just too busy this month doing other stuff. I really missed working out, but I got A LOT of other stuff done - mainly things around the house and a few business-y things, but things that are no longer looming over my head. I think I'll be able to dedicate more time to working out knowing some of my baggage isn't about to fall on my head for the time being.
- Participate in a 5K. Hahahahahahahahahaha. Nope. But I'd better get on that if I'm going to get anywhere near my year's goal of three 5Ks, an obstacle run, and a 10K
- The fitness challenge. Can you guess where this is going? Yeah. Didn't get past day one with this one. Oh well, there's always May.....
- No Overdrafts. Done! I'm almost getting good at this whole being an adult thing.
- Make a budget. Sorta. I came up with an idea of how to restructure how I use our multiple bank accounts and for me to put a little more money into the household bills. It's not exactly a budget, but I think it's a better starting place than I've been at.
- Morning and Evening Routines, plus a clean kitchen sink. The morning and evening routines were a little hit or miss. I'm struggling with the evening routine because we never seem to be home at the same hour, we never eat at the same time, and Jack has a bedtime window that has a pretty big variance. I slacked off around the middle of the month, but by the end seemed to get a little more focused on the routines. They're definitely not actually routines at this point. I have to remember to do the few things on my list instead of just automatically doing them, but change happens slowly and I don't feel horrible about where I am with things. The dishes were hit or miss, but, again, things were looking bad by the middle of the month, but better by the end.
- Get Jack a new bed and organize his room. DONE!!! I need to post some pics, but Jack now officially has a big boy bed in his own room. He transitioned out of his co-sleeper much better than I did. I'm the one who has been losing sleep and crying about it.
- Another thing I managed to accomplish this month is actually getting our house organized enough to not be embarrassed to have people over. We had some friends that stayed with us for a few nights last week, and I completed a major Spring Cleaning overhaul on the house. We still have a lot of stuff in boxes, but I managed to organize them all in one room, and actually arrange and clean the rest of the house. I feel so much better about myself, about life, and about our house than I did at the beginning of the month. Just having a clean and somewhat organized house is already making me feel like I can focus on and accomplish other goals. Plus I hope it's going to be easier to maintain the house while working on side home projects.
- Jamberry Training. Well, I'm sorry to say, I didn't do any of my Jamberry training, aside from making a list of 100 people to contact. But I have good reason for shifting my focus temporarily away from Jamberry.
- The reason I wasn't able to focus on my Jamberry business is because I finally, finally took the leap to start my own massage business. I've been doing some behind the scenes work on a website and business plan the last couple of months (and have been purposefully vague about in on my blog in case the owners of where I work were to see it), and on this past Wednesday, I officially put in my 3 weeks notice. Yes, I'm quitting my job to become a rogue massage therapist. And I'm freaking the f
uckout. But it's going to be okay. Getting everything ready to put in my notice is what has kept me too busy to blog, too busy to workout, too busy for Jamberry, and pretty much too busy for anything else this month - that and the paralysing fear of failure/success. At the start of April, I was still telling myself that someday I'd put in my notice, but the stars aligned, and the opportunity presented itself and that someday has arrived.
- Post regularly in April. Things started off better at the beginning of the month. I actually managed to write most of my posts ahead of time, but then my focus shifted to starting my business. I'm happy that I posted what I posted and really liked having my posts scheduled ahead of time. However, scheduling my posts was a double edged sword. When I knew I had a post scheduled, I was less likely to sit down and write the next post to add to my queue - there wasn't as much urgency, so it was easier to push to the back burner - but that quickly led to me being out of scheduled posts to rely on. But it's the first time I've ever managed to write more than one post ahead of time. It was different, and I certainly learned from it.
- Editorial Calendar. I made one, but obviously didn't stick to it. I am glad that I have a good handful of ideas that I haven't used yet that I can rely on in the future. Obviously I need to tweak things and get used to planning and scheduling posts in advance, though. It was nice to start the month with a plan, but just like with scheduling posts, setting my editorial calendar was a double edged sword. The ideas were planned and on paper and not bouncing around in my head as much. Not as much bouncing around in my ADD brain created more space for other things and those other things made me forget about writing (I was busy this month, but definitely could've gotten a few more posts done). As with all things, there's a learning curve.
- Spring Clean my blog. Working on my massage website and all other business tasks took a front seat to this. I can tidy up around here any time.
So there you have it. April turned out to be a pretty bang up month. I'm happy with all the things I got done, and I feel like I set up the ground work to have a happy, productive, and maybe even more focused May. The next three weeks are going to be crazy while I dot my t's and cross my i's to get all the finishing touches put on my business, but everything feels like it's in the right place for once. How was your April? Did you accomplish your goals - did you have an opportunity present itself that you couldn't say no to? Did you end the month where you thought you would?
P.S. I'm furiously writing trying to get this posted before midnight (which I didn't) as part of Rosililium's Blog Every Day in May Challenge, so I didn't have time to go through all the pics on my phone for my usual month end photo dump. That'll have to be another post for another day (more content, yay!)