Weekend Snapshots 15

What a wild weekend we had.  It was full of adventure, both good and bad - so much so that it's Tuesday and I still feel like I'm recovering from everything.  This week's edition of Weekend Snapshots is brought to you by Jack running through the grass at the Tee Pee Motel and RV Park.  As always, this link-up is brought to you by yours truly and Ariana over at 3twentysix.  Make sure to add your weekend recap post to the link-up so we can web-stalk you and grab the code here so the link-up will show up in your post, too.  It's all about sharing the love.

This weekend really started for us on Thursday.  My MIL's brother (I guess that would be my uncle-in-law, right?) had to have surgery in Austin and since it's just a couple hours from Houston, Jack and I drove her there.  I've only visited Austin a couple of times, and I've never had the chance to go to the Capitol building, so that's what I decided to do with Jack for the day.  Yay for spur of the moment road trips!!!  We didn't get to go on any of the guided tours (hello, toddler, not exactly interested in the history of the building), but that was okay because the public has virtually complete access to all areas of the building and grounds!  Whaaaaat?!?  I had no idea we would be able to just wander around the seat of the Texas government as we pleased.  I guess since it's a public building and all - I mean we as the public are paying for it after all.

The grounds of the Capitol are just lovely and Jack had so much fun running around and, "booming bad monsters" with the cannons.  After running around the grounds for a while (and playing some Ingress, of course - you didn't think I'd pass up the chance to do some missions or capture unique portals, now did you?), we went inside to admire the building.  We wandered into the State Senate chambers and then into the House of Representatives viewing gallery - the House seemed to actually be in session, but not the Senate.  I told Jack to make sure to be quiet because people were working hard down below and Jack immediately pointed at one guy and said rather loudly, "Not him.  Him napping.  Mommy, that man not working.  He napping."  Yup, our government hard at work, people, hard at work.

After spending all day at the Capitol (where I scored a sweet pair of Ray Bans {affiliate} on the ground), we went to my niece, Stephanie's (who is only a couple years younger than I am) to spend the night.  Not long before we got there, her one year old son had started getting sick - she told me as soon as we got there, and as soon as she told me, I should've gotten a hotel room - better safe than sorry, but we didn't.  Jack got to play some with his other cousin, and then Friday, we hung out while my MIL went back to the hospital to visit her brother again.  When we left that afternoon, Jack's cousin really wanted to hold his hand and as you can see, he wasn't so sure about it.

We drove straight to Wharton (about an hour south of Houston) to spend the night at the Tee Pee Motel and RV Park.  I'm not sure who was more excited to stay in the Tee Pee Motel - me, Jack or my MIL.  The tee-pees were so awesome and I'll try to do an entire post dedicated just to them soon!!!!  But that night, disaster struck.  I started throwing up, just like Stephanie's one year old.  I had come down with a nasty stomach virus.  I have to say, I handled it all pretty well - after having 12 weeks of morning sickness when I was pregnant with Jack, I've come to accept that sometimes you just have to puke and trying to stop it is only going to make it worse.  So the first few times I barfed, it wasn't so bad.  I even managed to rest a little between pukes and I didn't wake anyone up.

But then I heard Jack call out for me and dry heave.  Mimi, rushed him to the bathroom (which was only a few steps away - those tee-pees are small, lol) and then it was Jack's turn to barf.  He handled it like a champ.  So Jack and I took turns throwing up and I thought everything was going to be okay - my MIL could take us to an Urgent Care Clinic in the morning, but then she got sick, too, and nobody could help anybody.  It was awful.  Really, really awful.  Dennis had to work and couldn't come rescue us and neither my MIL or myself could drive.  I finally got ahold of myself enough to load up our stuff in the car and drive us to the small town ER where we all got IVs and medicine.  My SILs Sandy and Renada drove down to get us later that morning.  Not exactly how we wanted to end the weekend's adventures.  We spent all day on Sunday recovering.  It's Tuesday already and I haven't even gotten my appetite back - ugh.

So things didn't exactly end the way we hoped this weekend.  But I guess nobody expects a visit to the ER as part of their plans or anything.  I mean, I know my weekends are usually eventful, but I don't need them to be quite this eventful.  I'm just glad we're finally getting back to our old selves.

How was your weekend?  Did you have any adventures?  Have you ever had your plans go completely awry and end up in the ER, too (I hope not)?  What's your craziest road trip story?  I'd love to hear about it!!!

No comments

Back to Top